Cecil Beaton, Edith Sitwell mulitple exposure, 1962
I am not eccentric. It's just that I am more alive than most people. I am an unpopular electric eel set in a pond of catfish.
- Edith Sitwell
Cecil Beaton, Edith Sitwell and her brothers, for Vanity Fair, 1929
I have often wished I had time to cultivate modesty... but I am too busy thinking about myself.
- Edith Sitwell
Photo of Edith Sitwell and actor Neil Porter, holding the Sengerphone used in the performance of Sitwell's Façade poems
The poet speaks to all men of that other life of theirs that they have smothered and forgotten.
- Edith Sitwell
Edith Sitwell and Marilyn Monroe, chatting about Austrian philosopher, esoteric spiritual writer, and founder of anthroposophy Rudolf Steiner
The child and the great artist -- these alone receive the sensation fresh as it was at the beginning of the world.
- Edith Sitwell
Horst P. Horst photographing Sitwell for Vogue, 1948
Eccentricity is not, as some would believe, a form of madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd.
- Edith Sitwell
Edith Sitwell on Face to Fact, BBC, 1959
By 'happiness' I do not mean worldly success or outside approval, though it would be priggish to deny that both these things are most agreeable. I mean the inner consciousness, the inner conviction that one is doing well the thing that one is best fitted to do by nature.
- Edith Sitwell
Edith Sitwell wearing a necklace by Millicent Rogers,
‘This gold collar was made for me by an American woman called Millicent Rogers. She was one of my greatest friends, though I only met her once. She sent it to me and the British Museum kept it four days and thought it was pre-Columban, undoubtedly from the tomb of an Inca-though they couldn’t make out how the gold could be stiffened in a way that wasn’t in existence in those days. But I have to be careful of the clanking when I am reciting and don’t often wear it for that.’




No comments:
Post a Comment